How to get admission to the US?

Every year thousands of people immigrate to the United States, many more enter the country illegally. The reason that there are so many illegal immigrants is that it is very difficult to qualify to enter legally. That being said if you know what the procedure is the chances that you will be allowed to enter the United States are actually pretty good.

The first thing that you are going to have to do if you want to get admission to the US is to get a visa. There are dozens of different types of visa so you are going to have to decide which one is best for your needs. Most of them are only for people who are coming to the country temporarily like tourists or students. If your goal is to become a permanent resident you are going to have to get either a work visa, a family visa or a refugee visa.

The vast majority of people who come to the US as permanent residents gain access through a family visa, that is they have close relatives who live the US. The work visa is the other most likely option for most people but these are getting harder and harder to get. In either case the first step is getting one is that you will need to have a sponsor who can file a petition on your behalf, you can't do this yourself. Either your family member or your potential employer must file the petition, once this is approved you may then fill out the application for the visa.

In order to fill out the application for the visa you will need to go to an appointment at the consulate or the embassy in your home country, you can not apply from inside the US. You will be asked a number of questions that are relevant to your visa application and you will also be assessed by the interviewer to make sure that you are of good character. You will also need to provide documentation to back up the information on your application. Once this is done a background check will be done to make sure that what you told them is true.

If your visa application is successful you will be able to enter the United States, if your plan is to stay there you will need to fill out an application for a green card. As long as you have the correct visa this is a pretty simple procedure. This card gives you the status of a permanent resident and allows you to live and to work in the United States. It is also the first step on the road to becoming a citizen, which you can normally apply to do after you have lived in the US for a period of five years.